.................................................................................

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

My poor Beckett :(

My sweet boy has had quite the past few days. He started limping a little on Friday morning and I didn't really think anything of it. Well on Friday night we took him running and he started limping about 10 minutes into the run, but stopped after about a minute and still wanted to run so I figured he was fine.

Saturday morning when we woke up he was limping every where and wouldn't stand on his back left leg. I was so worried about him. While we were still in bed, I turned on the TV and just happened to see a show on Animal Planet about boxers, "Pets 101". I was so excited so of course had to watch it. There just so happened to be a boxer that had a back left leg injury and wouldn't walk on it and was limping around alot like Beckett. The dog ended up having a torn ligament in his knee and had to have surgery and lots of physical therapy! I immediately started crying, like big ugly crying... and called the vet to see if we could get Beckett in. I was panicked to say the least!

After he had been up for a little bit and walking around he stopping limping and didn't really have any issues for the rest of the day. We summed it up to muscles cramps since he's been running with us so much. We decided he was ok and took him for another run Sunday morning and decided that I would probably cancel his vet appointment... Probably wasn't the best idea but he hadn't been limping in 24 hours. After we got home and he took a nap he woke up and started limping again! I felt horrible for taking him running with us. Thank goodness I never got around to cancelling his appointment.
Not feeling so hot... Look at that sad face :(
I texted his foster mom Sunday night to let her know what was going on and to see if she had any advice. She basically reassured me that it wasn't my fault for running him and that he probably did it jumping around. She told me boxers were notorious for tearing their ACL's or that could be it or a hip issue. I was so upset, but at least she didn't think it was as bad as I did. Have I mentioned how thankful I am that his foster momma is still involved and answers all my crazy questions!

I took Beckett to the vet on Monday morning. I was nervous about this because I had to take him by myself. The vet's office had really slick floors and Beckett was trying to pull me to get to another dog and slipped on his back leg and cried out. Oh my, the tears almost started flowing.

I finally checked in when all the dogs were away from the front counter and we saw the vet almost immediately. I told the vet tech that Beckett was my baby and that if there was something wrong with him to expect lots of tears. She just laughed at me and said that was normal which made me feel a little better for being so emotional! The vet checked him and decided he didn't need x-rays or anything, he just thought it was a soft tissue injury that would resolve itself with rest. I was so thankful to hear that!!! He also said it could be early onset arthritis, but doubts it. So he put him on some pain medication for the week and also some joint medication just as a precaution.

You have no idea how happy I was to hear that my boy was ok!
In the exam room, he was way more interested in the dogs on the other side of the door.

After the pain meds. Pretty comfy don't cha think?
So we've been trying to keep him calm and trying to keep him from running and jumping around... Might be one of the most impossible tasks ever... Boxers owners know what I mean. Last night we went for a run and he couldn't come, that might have been the saddest thing in the world. Having to put him in his crate and listen to him cry while I put on my shoes... I could hear him crying outside too :( Praying he's better by next week, the boy loves his walks/runs!

He has a follow-up appt on Saturday, I'll keep y'all posted!

Loves!

No comments: